Call us: 775-622-9245


I Want to Modify The Decree

My Ex & I Were Divorced In Another State, But The Ex & The Children Now Live in Nevada, & I Want to Modify The Decree/Order.


All states give full faith and credit to Decrees and Orders entered in other states. You simply
have to go through the process of domesticating the Decree or order in Nevada for modification
or enforcement. This process, if not contested and Nevada has appropriate jurisdiction, is
fairly simply.

The opposing party does have the ability to object to the domestication, but that
would likely only occur should that party object to Nevada having jurisdiction. Whether or not
Nevada has jurisdiction can be a complicated question and you should consult a Certified Family
Law Expert to determine whether Nevada has jurisdiction.

If jurisdiction is appropriate, and once the Decree is domesticated, it is treated as if it were a
Nevada Order and is now modifiable. You can then proceed with filing a motion to modify
custody/child support/alimony, etc.

If you have an out of state Decree and have questions on whether it is appropriate to domesticate
in Nevada, contact the Law Offices of Andriea A. Aden, Esq. to schedule your consultation.

By Andriea Aden
June 12, 2019

Related Posts

previous POST I Want To Relocate Out Of The State Of Nevada
Next POST How to Modify The Decree Of Divorce
Open & Accepting New Clients!