If a party is not complying with the terms of a Court Order (be it a Decree of Divorce, a custody order, or an Order After Hearing), you can ask the Court to issue an order to show cause why that party should not be held in contempt for not following the Court Order.

NRS Chapter 22 addresses contempt, what it means, and the sanctions a Court can order if a party is found in contempt.

Keep in mind contempt in family court is mostly civil in nature, meaning it is to compel compliance, not punish non-compliance. The Court does have authority to award monetary sanctions and attorney’s fees based upon lack of compliance should the facts of the case justify monetary sanctions, including attorney’s fees. Imprisonment, while available as a sanction under the statute, is a very extreme and rare remedy often done to force a party to comply (i.e you will sit in jail until you sign what you were court ordered to sign). It is not you will serve 10 days in jail because you didn’t pay your half of the children’s medical expenses.

If you have questions on whether on contempt, please contact the Law Offices of Andriea A. Aden, Esq. at 775-622-9245.